Congratulations! It's a Boy

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Where is the time going?

It's hard to believe that 7 & 1/2 weeks ago I gave birth to my perfect baby boy.  He was so tiny and it seemed that his skin was too big for his body.  It looked as if he had chicken skin.  I couldn't help but think that he was never going to grow into it.  All of the newborn clothes he had received as gifts were so big that it was almost comical to see him wearing anything other than his PJ's.  One morning I woke up and changed Presley and the chicken skin seemed to disappear over night!  He began to fill out and his newborn clothes actually began to fit.  :o) 

Fast forward to 2 days ago....It seemed as if Presley had yet another growth spurt over night.  His newborn clothes seemed a little shorter and a bit tighter than they did the day before.  His diapers were getting too small for his body (which still looks so little to me).  I actually spent the day yesterday changing his diaper (and outfit) just about every hour.  Last night I decided it was time to put Presley in the size 1 diapers.  It was very hard for me to do emotionally.  The diaper looked so big on him just as the newborn diaper looked on him shortly after he was born.  This was the moment I realized that my baby is getting bigger, and my baby will continue to get bigger and there is nothing I can do about it.  I kind of don't want him to get bigger.

I think I am having a hard time with Presley getting bigger because I know as he grows, he will be approaching the age where typical infants begin to hit their milestones.  That scares me.  It scares me to think that he may not sit at the same age as others, or crawl, or walk, or talk, or laugh.  I hate the thought that for the rest of his life I will be comparing him to what other kids are doing for their age and hoping that he is doing the same.  And I know I have to stop that.  I try so hard not to think of it and tell myself not to worry about it now and that we will cross that bridge when we get there.  I have to remind myself how well he is doing now and how many things he has been doing since birth that most newborns don't do.  I have to keep reminding myself that he amazed me the day he was born, and continues to do things to amaze me today.  Even though I don't know what the future has in store for us, I am confident he will continue to amaze us all...

No comments:

Post a Comment